[CentOS] Lost path to root directory!

Ted Miller

tmiller at broadcast.net
Sun Sep 17 13:27:44 UTC 2006

I'll admit I am new to LVM2, but I have got myself in a bad spot.

I renamed the LVM volume and volume group so that I can keep track of what
is in them.  I have changed grub's menu.lst, /etc/fstab, and /etc/mtab, but
somewhere else there is still something telling lvm that my root drive is
on VolGroup00.  Where is it, and how do I convince it that
VolGroup00/Volume00 (or whatever the defaults are) is now DriveC/Centos?  I
suspect it may be hiding in initrd (compressed).  Wherever it is, it brings
the boot process to a screeching halt with a kernel panic when it tries to
pivot mount the root drive.

Until I get this figured out, my Centos install is dead, and I am back on
my old Mandrake install.

Ted Miller