[CentOS] Centos 4.4 Install bug

Morten Torstensen morten at mortent.org
Mon Sep 18 06:58:42 UTC 2006

Seth Bardash wrote:
> There have been no updates to the BIOS since 6/15/2005.
>
> Why would this work fine under Centos 4.3 x86_64 and i386
> and have a problem under 4.4?

There has been ACPI changes in the 4.4 kernel. Don't know what, don't know to
what extent, don't know if it is intentional or not. But the 4.4 kernel from the
upstream vendor does behave differently from earlier kernels in this department.

My guess is that they cleaned up some ACPI hackery, and some broken ACPI BIOSes
are now not working. Remember, the upstream vendors primarily focus is probably
not on broadest possible hardware support but on specs and stability. If I am
able to free up my server that requires ACPI=off, I could install RHEL4 and
pursue it with support.

There has been a few posts to this list about hardware not found or not working
properly as a result, with acpi=off as the "solution". Not many, so it is not a
big problem or maybe because acpi=off is such a common parameter to try with
hardware quirkiness.

--

//Morten Torstensen
//Email: morten at mortent.org
//IM: Cartoon at jabber.no morten.torstensen at gmail.com

And if it turns out that there is a God, I don't believe that he is evil.
The worst that can be said is that he's an underachiever.