[CentOS] problems with yum and 4.3-->4.4

Lamar Owen lowen at pari.edu
Mon Sep 18 16:25:49 UTC 2006

On Sunday 17 September 2006 09:55, Johnny Hughes wrote:
> Other than that, there was only 1 or 2 issues (Lamar Owen had a really
> strange one) ... those issues seemed unique to the machines involved or
> not predictable.

Ok, more information on my issue.  I'm in the process of upgrading another
production nameserver, and I ran across this (I was going to update bind
separately):
[root at pachyderm ~]# rpm -q --requires bind
/bin/bash
[snip]
libdns.so.16
libisc.so.7
libisccc.so.0
libisccfg.so.0
liblwres.so.1
[snip]
[root at pachyderm ~]# rpm --provides -q bind-libs
libdns.so.16
libisc.so.7
libisccc.so.0
libisccfg.so.0
liblwres.so.1
bind-libs = 20:9.2.4-2
[root at pachyderm ~]# yum update bind
Setting up Update Process
Setting up repositories
Resolving Dependencies
--> Populating transaction set with selected packages. Please wait.
---> Package bind.i386 20:9.2.4-16.EL4 set to be updated
--> Running transaction check
--> Processing Dependency: bind = 20:9.2.4-2 for package: bind-chroot
--> Restarting Dependency Resolution with new changes.
--> Populating transaction set with selected packages. Please wait.
---> Package bind-chroot.i386 20:9.2.4-16.EL4 set to be updated
--> Running transaction check

Dependencies Resolved

 Package                 Arch       Version          Repository        Size
Updating:
 bind                    i386       20:9.2.4-16.EL4  base              579 k
Updating for dependencies:
 bind-chroot             i386       20:9.2.4-16.EL4  base               33 k

Transaction Summary
Install      0 Package(s)
Update       2 Package(s)
Remove       0 Package(s)
Total download size: 613 k
Is this ok [y/N]: n
Exiting on user Command
Complete!
[root at pachyderm ~]#

Why is bind-libs not being updated as a dependency?  I verified that this is a
dep in the later version; these getting out of sync caused my problem.  Hmmm,
the bind package isn't requiring the corresponding bind-libs package
directly, apparently, just requiring the libs of the certain version (which
apparently do not work properly).  A full update should pull in the updated
bind-libs, though.

Could it be that the mirror that got used by the update for my particular box
was in the process of syncing, and had metadata that didn't include
bind-libs, or was out of sync in some way?  I have seen that as an issue once
or twice in the past.
--
Lamar Owen
Director of Information Technology