[CentOS] Re: Gnome Desktop Screensaver Security Lock Override?

Kanwar Ranbir Sandhu m3freak at rogers.com
Wed Sep 20 05:06:11 UTC 2006

On Mon, 2006-09-18 at 13:14 -0400, James B. Byrne wrote:
> It appears then that we will have to disable the screensvar terminal lock
> function since too many people in our organization have the habit of just
> leaving that desk with their sessions left on.

I take it you want to unlock a station if a person forgets his/her
password or when an admin needs access to it?

You know, considering this is Linux, you could script something using
ssh keys that would let you do the xscreensaver kill remotely with one
command.

The other worthy note is that if you're at the user's locked desktop,
you might as well switch to a virtual terminal (e.g. vt1) and do the
xscreensaver kill from there.  I really don't see the problem with that.

> Is there an auto logout
> capability in CentOS-4 that I can enable instead, so that after say 10
> minutes of inactivity the user session is terminated?

Gnome 2.14 has an "auto logout". It only works if the user initiates the
log out in the first place.  Not sure what the point of that one is,
unless it's meant to complete the logout if the person forgets to
actually click "Log Out".

There may some app or script out there that does what you want.  Search
freshmeat.net, etc.

Regards,

Ranbir
--