[CentOS] rpm problem after upgrade

Andres Baravalle andres.baravalle at gmail.com
Wed Sep 20 18:28:48 UTC 2006

2006/9/20, Matt Hyclak <hyclak at math.ohiou.edu>:
> On Wed, Sep 20, 2006 at 06:58:53PM +0100, Andres Baravalle enlightened us:
> > 2006/9/20, Matt Hyclak <hyclak at math.ohiou.edu>:
> > >Is python-rpm installed?
>

> > Hi,
> > if you mean rpm-python, yes. I haven't a package called python-rpm.
> >

> Yes, I did. I even double checked it on my system and still typed it wrong...
>
> I have rpm-python-4.3.3-18_nonptl installed.
>
> > I have rebooted with selinux enabled as permissive and yum it's not
> > working either. Before it was set up as disabled.
>
> I don't think your error has anything to do with SELinux, per se.
>
> > required to run yum. The error leading to this problem was:
> >
> >  /usr/lib/python2.3/site-packages/rpmmodule.so: undefined symbol:
> > rpmtsSetREContext
>
> indicates to me that a library is missing or can't be found. What does
>
>   ldd /usr/lib/python2.3/site-packages/rpmmodule.so
>
> tell you?
>
> And now you know why upgrades between major versions are not supported ;-)
>
> Matt

Hi Matt,
upgrading rpm-python to your version (alog with the other rpm*
packages) made it work. Thanks!

I know that it's not suggested to upgrade but I was getting stuck with
old packages all the time. It took time, but finally is (mostly)
sorted (apart from a few warnings that I'm still trying to track).

Thanks again,

   Andres