[CentOS] Hard drive errors

Bowie Bailey Bowie_Bailey at BUC.com
Fri Sep 22 16:41:50 UTC 2006

Bowie Bailey wrote:
> Karanbir Singh wrote:
> > Jordi Espasa Clofent wrote:
> > >
> > > The ideal should be to use the SmartTools utilities, but, if I'm
> > > right, there're problems with SATA support.
> >
> > smartctl on CentOS >= 4.3, supports SATA just fine.
> Sounds good.  I'll give it a try.

I tried smartctl and it ran fine, but found no errors (on the short

FYI - I had to specify the ata device type to make it work.

    smartctl -d ata -t short /dev/sda

I was also able to get the smartd service running by adding '-d ata'
to both lines in the /etc/smartd.conf file.

Everything seems to be running normally now.  Smartd is configured to
send me email on problems now, so I'll keep an eye on it and see what