[CentOS] Re: kernel source for 4.4

Jim Perrin jperrin at gmail.com
Tue Sep 26 22:14:14 UTC 2006

> I miss the kernel-source rpms, instead of the .src.rpm ones... so much easier to
> install without having to remember those rpmbuild commands or whatnot. Wonder
> why kernel-source is no longer available?

Support, or the implication there-of I'd guess. If they provide an
easy package to rebuild your own kernel, then there's the implication
that you'll help when J. Random (L)user tries and breaks it. With a
src.rpm, that expectation deminishes somewhat. I recall a conversation
with a RH support person about the calls they'd get demanding support
for the 'unsupported' kernel rpm that used to be as well. It too went
the way of the dodo.

George Orwell