[CentOS] adding a usb drive to an existing raid1 set

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Fri Sep 29 04:24:31 UTC 2006

On Thu, 2006-09-28 at 21:54, rado wrote:

> another thing that bothers me is that, just for the hell of it I started
> a new install. went to disk druid and the usb (sda) never was an option;
> like it never/doesn't exist. so of course I just backed out of it.
>
> there has to be a way. I'm sure there is, you are doing the exact same
> thing I am trying to do!

My system is actually installed on /dev/sda (a scsi drive) and the
3-device raid was added later with:

mdadm --create /dev/md0 --level=1 --raid-devices=3 /dev/hdc1 /dev/hdd1
missing

The external drive becomes /dev/sdb when connected and
can be added with
mdadm --add /dev/md0 /dev/sdb1

I don't think you can do that in disk druid.

--
  Les Mikesell
   lesmikesell at gmail.com