[CentOS] Taring up the OS - how to exclude directories

Fri Sep 8 14:19:04 UTC 2006

 From the howto:  http://www.faqs.org/docs/securing/chap29sec305.html

I got some ideas to help me to tar up the OS.  I had already been shown
how to wrap it into SSH to deposit the tar file on another system, so I
tried the following:

tar cpvzf - -C / --exclude  home --exclude  media --exclude  mnt
--exclude  proc --exclude  */lost+found | ssh root at 10.0.0.2
"cat>backup-060907.tgz"

But, whereas the howto is talking about --exclude dealing with files,
the Centos Man on tar is saying that it applies to files.

So what is wrong?  I know the SSH stuff is correct as when I put in
something like ls I get a file with result of the ls.  Also I had done
this without the excludes and of course it died slowing when it got to
/media/cdrom   :(