[CentOS] Compaq Alpha ES45 system with 4 CPUs: OK with CentOS ?

Wed Sep 27 03:19:06 UTC 2006
Rob <spamrefuse at yahoo.com>

Hi,

>From a friend I got a Compaq Alpha ES45 system with
4 CPUs. Also he gave me the CentOS-Alpha installation
CDs.

The CDs are probably recent, but I'm not sure; they
have following kernels in the RPMS directory:

  kernel-2.6.9-34.EC.alpha.rpm
  kernel-smp-2.6.9-34.EC.alpha.rpm
  kernel-utils-2.4-13.1.80.alpha.rpm

(Is this then an up-to-date installation CD set?).

My main question is: can I install CentOS on this
system with  these CDs, and will it install
"out-of-the-box"?

Main concern is the 4 CPUs in this system.
Will the kernel-smp RPM automagically activate and
use all 4 CPUs?

This is the first time for me to install on an Alpha
system. Any help on this respect is highly
appreciated.

Thank you!
Rob.