[CentOS] 4.3 to 4.4 and Yum and Upgrade vs. Update

Fri Sep 1 08:41:27 UTC 2006

John Hinton wrote:
> I'm wondering about yum update vs. yum upgrade. The man page says use
> upgrade (actually the obsoletes flag which is set in upgrade and not
> update) when doing something like a linux 8.0 to linux 9 upgrade.
> Something we can't do with CentOS, i.e. 3 to 4. So, is it better to use
> update or upgrade when going from 4.3 to 4.4? Doesn't RedHat call these
> "Quarterly Updates" and not "Quarterly Upgrades"?

on yum-2.4.x the --obsoletes flag is enabled by default anyway, so in
effect what you get from update or from upgrade is about the same thing.

> And, it seems that the folks having trouble were doing yum upgrade. I'm
> wondering if anyone is experiencing the same difficulties when doing yum
> update?

look at the thread again, its only when someone does an update for only
sqlite that they have an issue, a 'yum update yum; yum update' has
worked fine for me

> Could this be what's causing the conflicts with sqlite?

no.

> And if update vs. upgrade doesn't make any difference (from my first
> question).. Has a 'clear' direction for painless updating emerged?

yes : yum update yum sqlite python-sqlite ; yum update