[CentOS] 4.3 to 4.4 and Yum and Upgrade vs. Update

Fri Sep 1 10:50:03 UTC 2006

On Fri, 2006-09-01 at 05:02 -0500, Larry Vaden wrote:
> On 9/1/06, Karanbir Singh <mail-lists at karan.org> wrote:
> > Larry Vaden wrote:

> > > chroot'd named quit running about 05:00 yesterday morning.  wouldn't
> > > restart due to permission problems.
> > >

> > have you opened a bug report for this ?
>
> There was something similar mentioned by others 08/13 regarding a
> change released 08/11.  I'm not sure why we weren't impacted until
> yesterday ~ 05:00.

You were affected yesterday ... Because ... it was an update for 4.4.

RH released 4.4 on 8/10

CentOS released the security updates included for 4.4 on 8/23 (bind was
a bugfix update and not a security update ... it was not released on
8/23).

CentOS released the full 4.4 update set on 8/29, and since bind was a
bugfix updates and not secuirty update, that is when it was released.

It is the CentOS goal to have the update set releases out 2 weeks after
the update ... however due to a showstopper bug in 3.8 (the rescue CD
would not work, and still does not work in the upstream product) we had
to delay it's update and fix the problem.  That delay caused a
corresponding delay in releasing CentOS-4.4 since we can only release
one major update set at a time due bandwidth considerations.

So, CentOS-4.4 was released 8/29 ... and that was 5 days past our 14 day
goal.

THAT is why you saw the problem yesterday :)