[CentOS] Helping CentOS automatically

Fri Sep 1 15:51:21 UTC 2006
chrism at imntv.com <chrism at imntv.com>

sophana wrote:
> chrism at imntv.com a écrit :
>
>> Perhaps I'm missing something, but most bittorrent clients make it
>> rather easy to define/limit the speed of both the upstream and
>> downstream data rate.  So it will only consume as much bandwidth as
>> you allow it.  I'm not certain what you can do about controlling the
>> number of network connections or even if that would be considered any
>> real burden on modern hardware if you've got a sensible upstream
>> bitrate set.
>>

> client side bandwidth limitting is quite far from perfect, because, it
> is still bursty.
> I would like that my existing hosted application will not be impacted
> from the massive bittorrent bandwidth, and that my response latency will
> remain very low.
> Only ipfilter scripts can do that.

I don't think you will find it very bursty if you set a relatively low
threshold.  It will hit the threshold and just stay there (at least
during times of rapid change...like new major or minor releases).  I
note that when I set my upstream bitrate to 30k/sec, it immediately pegs
there and stays there.

Cheers,