[CentOS] Re: updating base kernel when plus kernel installed

Fri Sep 1 21:22:32 UTC 2006
Scott Silva <ssilva at sgvwater.com>

Robert Moskowitz spake the following on 9/1/2006 12:50 PM:
> Obviously, I need a lot of clue here.  Perhaps I can trade  :-P
>
> Karanbir Singh wrote:
>> Robert Moskowitz wrote:
>>  > Right now my base kernel is at:  2.6.9-34.0.2.EL and I have this
>> feeling
>>
>>> that is quite behind the current rev.
>>>
>>> I cannot figure out how to get kernel.i686 to upgrade.  I can't even
>>> seem to get yum or yumex to list the package name for the current kernel
>>> rev.
>>>

>> first, check for excludes - and then you should be able to yum install
>> kernel-2.6.9-42.0.2.EL.i686 - which should bring in the right version.
>>
> Maybe we are already past this version, but the above install had
> "nothing to do".
>
> And I don't see where I have any excludes.  not in my /etc/yum.conf or
> any of the repo files.
>
> I suspect what I need to do is create that local repository already.
>
> I see a thread on downloading updates, but I remember some earlier
> threads on YAM.
> Considering all the hung updates, I may very well want to have a local
> repro....
I am not sure if having a local repo will help you with the hung updates. It
seems to happen in the install stage, and that is well past where a local repo
would help. I had one out of four get trashed today, but that is because in
the middle of the remote upgrade over SSH, somebody decided to pull the plug
in the data closet to work on the UPS. Not only killed the update from the
dying session, but brought everything from routers to telephone system down
for close to 30 minutes. If it wasn't 40 miles away, I would have slapped him!!
I ran a script that came through on the list yesterday and it cleaned up the
mess wonderfully. That system is now happily burning electricity!

--

MailScanner is like deodorant...
You hope everybody uses it, and