[CentOS] No sound after upgrade to 4.4

Mon Sep 4 07:53:46 UTC 2006
Brad Falzon <brad.mailing at adam.com.au>

Joseph Haig wrote:
> After upgrading from CentOS 4.3 to 4.4 the sound doesn't work anymore.  Messages like the following appear in dmesg when I try to use it:
>
> application firefox-bin uses obsolete OSS audio interface
>
> The output from 'lsmod | snd' is:
>
> snd_azx                21713  2
> snd_hda_codec         121665  1 snd_azx
> snd_pcm_oss            52729  0
> snd_mixer_oss          21953  2 snd_pcm_oss
> snd_pcm                92357  3 snd_azx,snd_hda_codec,snd_pcm_oss
> snd_timer              28229  1 snd_pcm
> snd                    57509  8 snd_azx,snd_hda_codec,snd_pcm_oss,snd_mixer_oss,snd_pcm,snd_timer
> soundcore              13089  2 snd
> snd_page_alloc         13897  2 snd_azx,snd_pcm
>

> The computer is a Dell Dimension 3100 and the soundcard in on-board.  Has anyone else seen this problem?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Joe

We're actually having the same issue after upgrading to 4.4 aswell.
Checked all the muted settings etc, but its not that no sound - the
sound is all distorted.

As a temporary solution, we jsut change back to the 34.0.2-686 drivers
via Grub (we need it once in a blue moon).

But everyone else either plays sound, or none at all.