[CentOS] How to get 4.3 updates without 4.4 upgrade

Mon Sep 4 18:10:58 UTC 2006
Jay Lee <jlee at pbu.edu>

Robert Moskowitz wrote:
> Well, I want to stay on an even keel, here with 4.3 for a week or two.
>
> I would like to update needed programs.
>
> Would also like to get a newer gnome!
>
> What are others doing here.  Too much traffic, too much to read....

The only real solution is to have a test box and/or network and test
your patches on that.  Without having tested the patches, whether
they're security patches or new features, you risk breaking your app.
You should consider setting up a test box, testing your app. with 4.4,
then retest after critical updates are released.  Once you've verified
the critical update doesn't break your app in two, apply it to the
production box.  When a update release comes out for CentOS, test
against that also (you'll probably want to do more extended testing
since a lot changes in update releases).

This is also what "rpm -q --changelog" and Update release notes are
meant for, so that you can get an idea of what's changes, why and how it
might affect your app.

Remember that since you're using CentOS you've no one to yell at when a
patch breaks your app.  If reliability is that important and things
*can't get hosed* as you said, you should really be using RHEL.

As a final note, I've yet to have a RPM update break one of my servers
except where I did something wrong myself and rpm "fixed" it for me.

Jay