[CentOS] very new user having problems

Tue Sep 5 03:38:57 UTC 2006
Mark Weaver <mdw1982 at mdw1982.com>

barbaara fberg wrote:
> The dish outfront connecting inside the house to the radio and the
> network box.
> My husband's compuer upstairs is connected with XP professional.
> I have one computer downstairs that is Windows 98   and a Unix machine I
> am trying to connect
>
> my ISP is ieway.com

So... now we're getting somewhere.

You're connecting to a router which is doing DHCP so _that_ is all we
need to be concerned with - connecting to the router.

open a console window and type the following then press ENTER:

	system-config-network

This will bring up a prompt for the root password. Supply the password
and another interface will open up on your desktop. Within this
interface named "Network Configuration" you may or may not see a device
probably labeled "eth0". If you do not see a device there click the
button at the top labeled "New".

Choose Ethernet Connection and click forward.

In the next window you should see listed there the ethernet cards that
are currently installed in your system. Choose the one for eth0. You
will likely see it displayed with the card name followed by (eth0).
Click the forward button.

Since you're likely getting DHCP addresses from the router select the
option at the top labeled "Automatically Obtain IP address settings
with: (then there'll be a drop down menu whose first choice is DHCP) If
you wish you can also supply a host name. Click the Forward button.

On the next screen you'll see information which has been defined for
this ethernet connection. Click the apply button and you're almost done.

Now you can see an "inactive" ethernet connection in the Network
Configuration window. Click on "File" and choose save. Then click on the
object you've just created and click the button at the top labeled
Activate. A small window will open up while things are set in motion to
connect your new ethernet device to the network and hopefully when it's
finished provided you did everything correctly you'll be connected to
your network and be able to see the internet.

--
Mark

"If you have found a very wise man, then you've found
a man that at one time was an idiot and lived long enough
to learn from his own stupidity."