[CentOS] yum consumes machine (load average soars to 47)

Tue Sep 5 09:29:15 UTC 2006
Joseph Haig <jrmhaig at yahoo.co.uk>

----- Original Message ----
From: Daniel Senie <dts at senie.com>
To: centos at centos.org
Sent: Tuesday, 5 September, 2006 10:00:49 AM
Subject: [CentOS] yum consumes machine (load average soars to 47)

I was using yum to update packages a few nights ago on one of my
servers. The update of rpm packages appeared to die. Since then,
commands like 'yum check-update' will consume the system. This is a
dual-core Pentium-D, with X64 (and I'm running 64 bit). One CPU pegs
at 100% running yum, but whatever it's doing on disk really is the
bigger issue. It so consumes the disk subsystem as everything else
grinds to a halt and the system becomes unusable (likely swapping
itself silly).

I'd really like to get this resovled and apply errata. What I need to
know is where to start looking. I've tried a 'yum clean all' but that
doesn't help.

Dan

There is a known issue with sqlite and python-sqlite.  If

$ rpm -qa |grep sqlite

shows that you have sqlite 3.3.3 then you must also have python-sqlite 1.1.7 or yum will freeze, which is obviously a problem as you cannot then use yum to solve it.  I managed to fix this with:

$ rpm -Uvh http://mirror.centos.org/centos/4/os/i386/CentOS/RPMS/python-sqlite-1.1.7-1.2.i386.rpm

Hope this helps,

Joe