[CentOS] DNS resolve.conf not working

Tue Sep 5 11:42:08 UTC 2006
Benjamin Karhan <simon at pop.psu.edu>

A little birdy told me that Johnny Hughes said:

] > my DNS servers all survived the upgrade fine...
] >   with one caveat...
] >   the file "/etc/rndc.conf" got updated without any ".rpmnew"
] >   preservation taking place...
] > as such, for servers to correctly reload their maps and other
] >   such tasks via "rndc" i needed to update that file to re-include the
] >   correct information for the key...
] >
] > just figured it deserved a mention...
] >
] > B. Karhan
] > simon at pop.psu.edu
] > PRI/SSRI Unix Administrator
]
] Benjiman,
]
] %verify(not size,not md5) %config(noreplace) %attr(0640,root,named) /etc/rndc.conf
] %verify(not size,not md5) %config(noreplace) %attr(0640,root,named) /etc/rndc.key
]
] (those lines in the bind SPEC file should have only replaced files that
] are not changed for rndc.conf and rndc.key)
]
] Do you maybe have the caching-nameserver RPM installed on an active DNS
] box that is used for zone control?

nope...
and my rndc.key file was preserved...
  it's altogether possible that the default rndc.conf worked fine
  before and used an "include rndc.key;" statement...
  but the new one definately did something else...
  (had a new key spec declared inconsistent with any existing rndc.key)

B. Karhan
simon at pop.psu.edu
PRI/SSRI Unix Administrator