[CentOS] DNS resolve.conf not working

Tue Sep 5 13:30:55 UTC 2006
Ed Morrison <ed at morrisonnetworks.com>

> That probably means one of the following:
>
> 1.  port 53 is being filtered on the ftp host
> 2.  port 53 is being filtered on the 192.168.1.4 host
> 3.  there is no name server running on 192.168.1.4
>
> Try this and see if name service begins working.
>
> /etc/rc.d/init.d/iptables stop
>
> If that fixes things, then you need to visit your iptables config and
> allow DNS queries in/out.
>
> Hope that helps.

Hi Chris:

Unfortunately, I have already stopped the firewall and DNS is running on
192.168.1.4.
  I took 192.168.1.4 out of the equation and used all the DNS servers
that I have access to.... same result.

[root at ftp ~]# iptables -L -v -n
Chain INPUT (policy ACCEPT 0 packets, 0 bytes)
 pkts bytes target     prot opt in     out     source
destination

Chain FORWARD (policy ACCEPT 0 packets, 0 bytes)
 pkts bytes target     prot opt in     out     source
destination

Chain OUTPUT (policy ACCEPT 0 packets, 0 bytes)
 pkts bytes target     prot opt in     out     source
destination
[root at ftp ~]#