[CentOS] yum vs up2date

Thu Sep 7 15:20:19 UTC 2006
chrism at imntv.com <chrism at imntv.com>

John Summerfield wrote:
> Jim Perrin wrote:
>>> Does this mean you don't wish to create a workable mirror system?
>>

>> Just because it doesn't fit into how you think it should work doesn't
>> mean it's not workable. Stop trolling.
>>

> I'm not trolling, I pointed out a serious problem with it and suggest
> how it could be improved.
>
> I repeat, mirrors in Europe & the US are not local to Western
> Australia, and while Singapore is relatively close, still data crosses
> national boundaries; while I don't understand the implications of
> that, I am sure it doesn't have the same costs & rules that data-flows
> within Austealia have.

Who cares?  When I think of "local" in terms of an update mirror, all I
care about is latency (less so) and bandwidth (more so)...the fact that
a particular host is located in Perth or Ulan Bator or Los Angeles
really isn't important to me.  Getting the bits from point A to point B
in the quickest and most reliable fashion IS important.  I don't
understand why you're so hung up on server location as physical
geography is becoming less and less relevant as the world becomes more
and more wired.

Cheers,