[CentOS] yum vs up2date

Thu Sep 7 16:18:28 UTC 2006
John Summerfield <debian at herakles.homelinux.org>

chrism at imntv.com wrote:

>> If you read my earlier posts, you might have noticed terms like
>> "download limits."
>>
>> Most users don't have "all you can eat" plans, and if they exceed
>> their quota they can be charged extra ($60-120 per gigabyte) or br
>> throttled back to modemesque speeds.
>

> What on Earth does that have to do with anything?  You've got poor
> connectivity or expensive connectivity or both in the "last mile" part
> of your link to the Internet.  How is changing the mirroring system
> going to help you or others like you?

You haven't shown how the mirroring system find a good mirror, and the
evidence Johnny gave shows it doesn't.

There _are_ good mirrors, I wasted some time perusing broadband plans
and found another (only has I32 and AMD-64, but finding zSeries was a
surprise).

Your mirror system doesn't show them to users, and that's a problem to
those users whom it costs.

_I_ think Debian handles mirrors pretty well, it lets me specify country
and gives me a choice, and the names I see mean something.

Those Centos names might mean something to someone, but from here they
just looked like someone chose random (or maybe consecutive) letters to
differentiate their names. When I believed they are Australian, I tried
to match them to Australian localities, but failed.

--

Cheers
John

-- spambait