[CentOS] yum vs up2date

Thu Sep 7 21:00:15 UTC 2006
Lance Davis <lance at uklinux.net>

On Thu, 7 Sep 2006, Ralph Angenendt wrote:

>>> What is wrong with that scheme is that only 1 mirror is listed ...
>>> if you loose the connection, if it gets overloaded in the middle of
>>> your transfer, etc. then there is no failover.
>>
>> Doesn't your geo-ip enabled DNS service drop non-responding servers?
>> It has been much less trouble in practice from my locations than the
>> fedora or centos4 repositories.
>
> But there is no geo-IP in Centos3 ...

Actually we do use geo-IP in the backend dns for mirror.centos.org - using
powerdns and some custom perl.

That looks at the users location and will give a relevant mirror - however
as we only have mirror servers in the us and eu it is prety moot for .au

We use that because it can give out one of a random list oif mirrors and
thus spreads the load, whereas previously both yum and up2date hit only
one of the set of mirrors in rrdns - due to a bug in the python libraries,
and so all the load was taken by one server.

Lance

--
uklinux.net -
The ISP of choice for the discerning Linux user.