[CentOS] How do we handle panics? Bug it here [ SOLVED? Thx J.J. Garcia]

Fri Sep 8 07:43:15 UTC 2006
J.J. Garcia <stigmatedbrain at gmail.com>

El mar, 05-09-2006 a las 17:31 -0400, William L. Maltby escribió:
> On Mon, 2006-09-04 at 13:59 -0400, William L. Maltby wrote:

> > s/10/11/   # Now, and my first double
>
> Had one more after that.
>
> > <snip>
>

> > > Maybe it is not the point..., but have you considered the option of
> > > running 'badblock' (non-destructive/destructive after dd'ing to backup)?
> > > even on swap space?
>
> That was not the solution, but read on! Stop at this next paragraph if
> you have no interest in the details.
>
> Apparently, country living has it's downside: unreliable power from the
> electrical utility company caused the problems I've been experiencing
> for a couple months... maybe most, but not all? With BBS in place again,
> reliability seems to be restored.

City living too! :), im living in a place called "Barrio de la Luz" and
if i can translate it to correctly english.... "Light Quarter/district
not sure when this name was elected, anyway ironically the meaning is i
new 3 UPS (3000VA) for almost 10 hosts due intermitent black-down by the
local power company... :) ... as you see, even on city Bill

> Moral of the story: ATX systems may be more sensitive to power
> deviations than AT systems? Or... Well you know the other possibilities
> related to power.
>

> > OUTSTANDING! I had not even considered. I was wrapped up in my own loop:
> > prev mobo bad, took a long time to ID that (was being led to believe
> > mem, after being led to believe it started with seamonkey, after.. you
> > can see that by now I am tightly focused).
>
> And here is the value of someone taking the time to reply when no one
> else did. I was, indeed, trapped in in a non-productive train of
> thought. J.J. raised a Q that I had not considered. Being a pretty good
> associative processor, I immediately extended that to "what else have I
> discarded or not considered that might be in play"?
>
> He offered what was needed to get me moving. Just plain old raising a
> question, causing me to start thinking outside the box I had fallen
> into.
>
> Thanks be to J.J.

You're welcome but it's due you are tenacious and the more important,
never surrender! :) It's your point not mine.

> My eyes immediately swiveled left to the BBS containing the 2 new
> batteries undergoing their initial 24 hour charge before use. Something
> in J.J.'s question had made me recall that all my troubles began about
> the same time the BBS died. And as symptoms accumulated, I handled them
> in isolation, for some unknown reason. Uncharacteristic of me. Several
> other things happened in the same time-frame, clouding the situation for
> me.
>
> To keep it short:
>   - couple months back BBS died; about the same time some CentOS updates
>     had occurred; had random lock-ups & X applications dying
>     unexpectedly,
>   - after some time, I figured it may be hardware; memtest86 shows
>     memory errors, but inconsistently, over a few days,
>   - later determined mobo at fault, RMA'd
>   - xfer'd load to K6-III, it chugs along NP, no BBS,
>   - later summer heat comes, Duke Energy announces brownouts possible,
>   - K6-III still runs w/o a hiccup, w/o a BBS,
>   - later built new machine; runs at 4.3 for a day or two and does OK
>     with a couple freezes only; I'm thinking it's anomalies
>     introduced as updates were applied when the mobo was failing and the
>     4.4 update may cure it,
>   - 4.4 update done and OOPS/panic about a dozen times in 5 days,
>   - I dutifully google and find posts indicating this is a known and
>     unsolved problem through release 2.6.15 at least,
>   - BBS back in service and normal activities produce no OOPs, no panic.
>
> Now, how does it become believable to me that I'm the only one affected
> on this list when googling indicates a well-known problem? Lack of
> participation and lack of knowledge. I know there's lots of admin types
> here. I guess there may be some like me at home just running a desktop
> workstation with a little private LAN and old equipment. But never sure.
> And do they watch the lists as I do? Do they bother to reply? No way to
> know.
>
> For this OP and some others, when I ask "anyone else seeing this?", I
> get no reply. That's expected if no one else is seeing it. So I figure
> that there's very few with my simple and older setup. Ergo, they may not
> be affected. In my experience, which is quite long, I have often exposed
> bugs that others do not see. IBM compiler types used to hate me (a
> *long* time ago).
>
> That is how it becomes believable that I'm "The One".

If i understand well... "You're not the one" asking for support/ideas in
the ml, i know the feeling anyway...

What i think is not all the ppl take the time to write, ask and follow
hints/tests, but there're ppl that do, and as i can see there are
initiatives to improve the usage/maintaining the system by the ppl
working under curtains, sometimes i can think they feel the same as you,
don't you think?

Well, take only the positive things and try to do your best, this is why
i try to do when i reach the technical level and i know you do all the
time in the ML, this is why :)

> > <snip>
>
> Lack of response to this bothered me. Makes me wonder if I'm where I
> need to be.

It depends on you, but if im not going to be considered as prophet,
please! :) i remember a lil proverb: "It's best a bad world known than
an unclear promise land", anyway... keep your eyes open to reality... ;)

> > > What im doing (up to anybody tells me other thing) is to post the bug at
> > > Centos Bug Tracker, this is what we are using, this is where i think we
> > > have to toss the bugs, well, my way only of interpreting things...
> >
> > Thanks. At least someone answered.
>

> > > Have good luck Bill
>
> I did. You brought it by being willing to take the time.

Bill, keep on pushing the list, we all need your time, ideas and
patience all the time, that's for sure!

And keep out smoking!