[CentOS] Hyperthreading ON causes OOPS on boot

Fri Sep 15 12:01:17 UTC 2006
William Warren <hescominsoon at emmanuelcomputerconsulting.com>

HT has been shown in database environments to actually harm performance
and not help it.

Mark Strong wrote:
> I just tried to install CentOS (x86_64 4.4 and i386 4.3, not both at
> once, when I found the 64bit version didn't boot, I tried the 32bit
> version, same result) on a dual Naconda Xeon system.  I get an OOPS just
> after the IDE info is printed on the screen during boot (this is booting
> off the CD during the install phase).
>
> After mucking about with the bios settings (and many reboots later), I
> found with Hyperthreading off it boots and installs ok (installed the
> x86_64 version once I got it going).
>
> After YUM updating, and getting a new kernel I thought I'd try turning
> the Hyperthreading back on, crashed in the same spot during boot.
>
> Since I'm going to use it as a MySQL server and Hyperthreading seems to
> make MySQL slower, it not a problem that it won't work with
> Hyperthreading enabled, but it would be interesting to know why.  Any
> ideas???
>

> Its a ASUS NCL-DS with Dual 3.4G Xeons, 8G of DDR2 ram, and a 3ware raid
> controller 8500LP.
>

> Regards
> Mark Strong
>

> This e-mail message is for the sole use of the intended recipient(s) and may
> contain confidential and privileged information of Transaction Network Services.
> Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure or distribution is prohibited.  If you
> are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender by reply e-mail and

My "Foundation" verse:
Isa 54:17  No weapon that is formed against thee shall prosper; and
every tongue that shall rise against thee in judgment thou shalt
condemn. This is the heritage of the servants of the LORD, and their
righteousness is of me, saith the LORD.

-- carpe ductum -- "Grab the tape"
CDTT (Certified Duct Tape Technician)

Linux user #322099