[CentOS] problems with yum and 4.3-->4.4

Sun Sep 17 13:55:38 UTC 2006

On Sun, 2006-09-17 at 08:10 -0500, Larry Vaden wrote:
> Are the problems with yum in the Centos 4.3->>4.4 upgrade process due
> to a forked or obsolete version of yum?
>
> I briefly scanned <https://lists.dulug.duke.edu> and didn't see any
> problems, but did see some incidents regarding yum hangs reported
> about a year ago.
>
> regarding the current upgrade, Seth Vidal in
> <https://lists.dulug.duke.edu/pipermail/linux/2006-September/000569.html>
> wrote:
>
> <quote>
> You should be able to get all of these and more with:
>  yum update
>
> Let us know what breaks,
> -sv
> </quote>
>
> No replies added to the thread indicating the folks at Duke aren't
> having problems with the update to Centos 4.4 whereas folks on the
> Centos list have reported quite a few problems.

There are more than 1.5 million centos machines out there ... and we
always have some issues on upgrade.  Several of the issues attributed to
4.4 upgrade have since been reclassified ... that always happens as
well.  Almost all of the machines upgraded without any issues.

This time the vast majority of issues were because python-sqlite has to
be upgraded at the same time as sqlite ... and sometimes it doesn't
happen soon enough on a full yum update.  To work around that issue:

yum update yum sqlite python-sqlite kernel

Then do the rest of the upgrade.

There is a futex issue that happens to some people (and has been
happening since RH 5.x) ... to minimize that reboot prior to upgrade and
remove the files __db.00* from /var/lib/rpm.

Other than that, there was only 1 or 2 issues (Lamar Owen had a really
strange one) ... those issues seemed unique to the machines involved or
not predictable.

Lamar's problem was particularly strange and I have never seen it
before.  This is not to minimize his (or any of the other issues), but
they makeup < .1% of the upgrades performed.

CentOS-4.4 is stable and should be used.