[CentOS] Using yum variable $releasever reports 1

Thu Sep 21 14:34:27 UTC 2006
Matt Hyclak <hyclak at math.ohiou.edu>

On Thu, Sep 21, 2006 at 04:30:47PM +0200, Jens Ahlin enlightened us:
> I have an old server that originally was a RedHat 8 server. Then I
> upgraded to RedHat 9, then Tao Linux 1 and last to CentOS 3 when tao was
> discontinued. Yes I know that this was probably not the smartest thing in
> the world but now this is the case and I don't want to reinstall it.
>
> Now the question. In yum.conf I have distroverpkg=redhat-release and cat
> /etc/redhat-release gives:
>
> CentOS release 3.7 (Final)
>
> But when I run yum update the release reported back is 1.0
> yum update
> Gathering header information file(s) from server(s)
> Server: CentOS-1.0 - Addons
> Server: CentOS-1.0 - Base
>
> Until now I have manually changed yum.conf and replaced $relesever with
> whatever version I had but why is $relesever replaced with 1.0 ?

Most likely you have a tao-release package installed. You should probably
remove that and install the appropriate centos-release for your version.

Matt

--
Matt Hyclak
Department of Mathematics