[CentOS] Re: Sendmail Segfaults

Thu Sep 21 16:57:31 UTC 2006
Black Hand <yonsy at blackhandchronicles.homeip.net>

On Wednesday 20 September 2006 08:26, Daniel Senie wrote:

> We do much with modified configurations, we just prefer to rely on
> redhat to port and test the bug fixes on the sendmail binaries, as
> the sendmail.org folks seem to release many releases, and we just
> don't have the bandwidth to track them and rebuild for our servers as
> they come up. You could make the same argument for PHP, Apache and a
> dozen other core application components as "things we should just
> package ourselves" but we might also need a bit of time in our lives
> to run the business, rather than building tools. This is why we pay
> RedHat for bug fixes on our production servers.

well, in CentOS we have centosplus and the dev/testing centos repo with some
packages updated. I use php5 and recently openldap 2.3 in some servers, the
first one by necesity ,the second one is for testing purposes

> In talking with a RedHat person at LinuxWorld, they seemed to be
> getting this feedback from a lot of folks (wanting newer packages,
> supported, on stable versions of RHEL). Sounded like they were open
> to the idea, if not sure how they'd actually implement such.

maybe like ubuntu, that have a backport repository that backport newer
packages from the upstream/testing releases. the apt system will manage very
well the configuration problems to minimize the downtime of a critical server
for a newer version and newer configuration. In FC4 and FC5 finally redhat
have a clean system to upgrade from a release to another without pain. Maybe
this can be the path too.

--
Black Hand
Amiga Addicts