[CentOS] vmware, rhel4(or us) problems w/virtual usb ports

Fri Sep 22 17:51:55 UTC 2006
rado <rado at rivers-bend.com>

On Fri, 2006-09-22 at 08:54 -0400, William L. Maltby wrote:
> On Fri, 2006-09-22 at 00:39 -0500, rado wrote:
> > I ran across this and glad I did...saved my .10 worth of sanity I got
> > left:
> >
> > It came from:
> > http://kb.vmware.com/KanisaPlatform/Publishing/612/774_f.SAL_Public.html
> >
> > Guest Cannot See USB Device on RHEL4-x64 Host
> >

> > <snip>
>
> > As a workaround, you can recompile the host's kernel with usbhid as a
> > module, then manage its removal with rmmod. However, because the usbhid
> > driver is necessary to allow the host and guest operating systems to
> > interact with a USB mouse and keyboard, removing the module from the
> > recompiled kernel may not be appropriate for your system. You may need
> > to use an upgraded kernel or a different operating system instead.
>
> John, I've not used VM stuff, so this might be dumb (never stopped me
> yet).
>
> Can't the initrd be modified and remade to automatically load the
> modules? It's just another device driver, right?
> Bill

oh, I found that bit in some knowledge base after letting this certain
problem beat me up for a spell. Since, I just set up to host a print
server from a real(base) OS, run a smb host and handle the vm -windows
OS printing needs so this is a dun deal on my end.

It seems like printing is one of those things where there are many diff
ways to accomplish the same task.

I sure don't want this little misfortune of the rhel kernel to be led
into a path that we all endured the last few days w/the selinux thang...

Just be aware of that so as not to waste a bunch of time on it. Just
find a better way to do it.

John Rose