[CentOS] vmware-time update issues and typematic issues

Sat Sep 23 13:06:22 UTC 2006
rado <rado at rivers-bend.com>

On Sat, 2006-09-23 at 07:26 -0500, Aleksandar Milivojevic wrote:
> rado wrote:
> > right now system times are off 2 mins after all nite ...yest. that would
> > have been 10-12hrs. I stopped all ntp or whatever that is...going out to
> > one of the time servers...just getting time from the host system.
>
> Some hints from the vmware website for 2.6 kernels say to use
> "clock=pit" kernel option in guests, disable NTP in guests (system
> clocks in virtual machines are too unstable), and let vmware tools sync
> the time with the host OS (you can use NTP to sync the time of the host
> OS with some time source, of course).
>
> If you have both 2.4 and 2.6 kernels running in guests, you'll probably
> notice that 2.6 kernels are taking 3-4 times more CPU time when the
> guest is idling.  That's because the default frequency of interrupts
> changed from 100Hz to 1kHz (and that is per CPU) in 2.6 kernels.
> Placing much more stress on vmware and causing all bunch of problems
> with it.  It's configurable compile time option (you'd need to recompile
> kernel to change it to the old default).  I have one (not really brand
> new anymore) dual-Xeon machine that runs ESX with 5 2.6 guests and
> couple of 2.4 guests.  When all the guests are idle, they consume about
> half of the CPU time of one processor.  I haven't yet attempted
> recompiling 2.6 kernel and lowering frequency of interrupts, but it's
> probably worth trying.

Hi, Alex, thx for this..when I get time, I will look into this.

another interesting thing is that I guess I'm still having this grrrr
key repeat going    oonnnnnnnnnnnnnn    lloolll

jr