[CentOS] 2.6.9-42.0.2.ELsmp

Mon Sep 25 11:41:39 UTC 2006
chrism at imntv.com <chrism at imntv.com>

Steph wrote:
> Hi,
>

> I currently have a few CentOs 4.X servers running the latest stock
> 2.6.9-42.0.2.ELsmp kernel.
>
> I notice kernel.org are now up to version 2.6.18 and many people are using
> the 2.6.17.11
>
> Does anyone have any opinions with regards to the 17.11 and .18 kernels?
> I'm led to believe the latest centos stock kernels are the same anyway as
> are the backported Redhat ones.
>
> I'd be interested to read other peoples take on this, I note CentOs do not
> advocate anything other than the yum release and I was advised in the CentOs
> IRC channel to use the recommended version.
> I also do not want to end up constantly updating insecure kernels, although
> unfortunately there are always going to be vulnerabilities posted I'd like
> to minimize maintenance.

There is nothing really "wrong" with using a newer kernel.  It just
requires more work on your part.  The beauty of the stock binaries
(including the kernel) is that you can simply type "yum update blah"
and know with a fairly high degree of certainty that the system will
continue to work, that relevant security fixes have been maintained,
dependencies with other programs maintained, etc.  If you roll your own
kernel from  more recent virginal source,  it is still likely to work
fine, but you will have to mind all those other issues yourself.  Unless
you have some device  that isn't working properly with the stock kernel,
it probably isn't worth the hassle of doing things yourself.

Cheers,