[CentOS] named issue

Wed Sep 27 13:12:00 UTC 2006
eric at austinconventioncenter.com <eric at austinconventioncenter.com>

> On Tue, September 26, 2006 5:02 pm, Ivan Arteaga wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I have installed centos 4.3, it has been working fine but today I
>> couldn't
>> use the dns service. I try to check the named status and got the
>> following
>> :
>>
>> rndc: Couldn't find server 'localhost': Name or service not known
>>
>> I will appreciate any help, it is a production box and i have to fix it
>> asap.
>>
>> Regards,
>>

> a google of that error: "rndc: Couldn't find server 'localhost'" returned
> the following results.
>
> http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=rndc%3A+Couldn%27t+find+server+%27localhost%27&btnG=Google+Search
>
> The following post on an HP forum might be a good place to start.
>
> http://forums1.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/questionanswer.do?threadId=1059550&admit=-682735245+1159359553423+28353475
>
> however, without any more information that just the error message there
> isn't much else we can offer you.
>
> --
> Mark
>
> If you've found a wise man then you've found a man that was at one time an
> idiot and lived long enough to learn from his mistakes.

Ran into the same exact issue - run rndc-confgen
and put the key in your named.conf file. You may also need to comment out
the caching only config if you are using it. and also the line:
include /etc/rndc.key as well
when you run rndc-confgen, it will gen a new key and the output will have
the syntax and directions to use the new key.

For example:
You will put the following in named.conf:
 key "rndc-key" {
       algorithm hmac-md5;
       secret "YourNewly-genned-rndc-key-here";
 };

 controls {
       inet 127.0.0.1 port 953
               allow { 127.0.0.1; } keys { "rndc-key"; };
 };
restart named after making the changes