[CentOS] Changing system users pass via webmin

Fri Sep 29 14:59:16 UTC 2006
Craig White <craigwhite at azapple.com>

On Fri, 2006-09-29 at 07:52 -0500, Ivan Arteaga wrote:
> OK, I really appreciate the time and help of all you guys... got good tips!
> Anyway let me tell you that webmin allow to define webmin groups/users in
> order to give them granular access to specific modules, in this case only
> the "system - change password" option. So there is no way the user change
> what he must not (or what you allow them to do)
> I came here because I posted the question in samba and even webmin lists
> with no success, and anywhere you can find someone that can helps in linux
> world^^
> Sorry if maybe I asked the wrong question in the wrong list or somebody
> wasted time reading or researching about this post.

----
I really wouldn't recommend the methodology of what you are doing for a
number of reasons:

- It's possible that an upgrade to webmin could cause a change in
permissions that you haven't anticipated it...it's happened in the past
I believe.

- Given that the premise is that webmin has super user powers to
accomplish everything, putting users on it however restricted you think
it might be is just a single error away from breaking.

- Given webmin's history of security issues, it's best to consider
limiting access to webmin to only a few systems.

Usermin however operates as the user and even if broken, doesn't
represent nearly the same threat. I believe if you pursue this further
on the webmin list, you will find that Jamie would concur that Usermin
is the better methodology for this purpose.

Craig