[CentOS] LVM & Softraid & expansion

Morten Torstensen morten at mortent.org
Sun Apr 1 20:17:07 UTC 2007

John R Pierce wrote:
> In IBM AIX (where LVM kinda came from), the soft raid and volume
> management is rather tightly integrated, but in linux, its seperate.

There is not RAID in AIX LVM, just mirroring (well, stripes too but
never mind that). Since you just map Logical Partitions to multiple
Physical Partitions (same as Physical Extents, PE, in the linux
implementation), it is easy to duplicate logical volumes to different
physical volumes. You can do this online of course, as it is all below
the filesystem/logical volume level. Migrating from one SAN to another,
one disk to another, adding disks, splitting disks, removing disks. All
is done in the LVM. As it should be.

The linux approach is much more primitive. Too bad the linux lvm guys
used HP-UX LVM as their reference.

--

//Morten Torstensen
//Email: morten at mortent.org
//IM: Cartoon at jabber.no morten.torstensen at gmail.com

And if it turns out that there is a God, I don't believe that he is evil.
The worst that can be said is that he's an underachiever.