[CentOS] CentOS + GNU Zebra

Gavin Carr gavin at openfusion.com.au
Tue Apr 3 00:59:16 UTC 2007

On Mon, Apr 02, 2007 at 09:09:16AM -0400, Steve Huff wrote:

> On Apr 1, 2007, at 7:40 AM, Jordi Espasa Clofent wrote:
>
> >At work, we're considering the idea to replace the presente router
> >with a stardard box with CentOS as a SO and GNU Zebra as a routing
> >software. The line is a 4Mbps SDSL.
> >
> >?What do you think about Zebra and what are your experiencies with it?
>
> if you're used to working with Cisco routers, the interface to zebra/
> quagga should look pretty familiar.
>
> quagga seemed to work pretty well in applications requiring RIP and
> BGP (i can't remember whether we configured any OSPF) on a network
> testbed.
>
> don't use zebra; use quagga instead.
>
> rather than running CentOS on your router, though, have you
> considered using a specialized firewall/router distribution?
> something like OpenWRT (http://openwrt.org/) or m0n0router (http://
> inf.imelda.be/downloads/m0n0wall/m0n0router/) (even though it's not
> Linux-based) might be simpler to maintain.

Though it depends what you're doing, of course. I've got a client who
uses two routers at satellite sites - one a CentOS router running quagga,
and one a m0n0wall router on a wrap. m0n0wall and other applicance
routers are great if you're wanting do simple stuff (where simple means
'that which is supported by your appliance'), but as soon as you step
outside those boundaries I find having a real OS available is hugely
worthwhile.

We've found quagga on CentOS really solid, fwiw.

Cheers,
Gavin