[CentOS] How to Increase Swap Memory in Centos 4.4?

Bart Schaefer barton.schaefer at gmail.com
Tue Apr 3 15:07:53 UTC 2007

On 4/3/07, Pham Hai <haisoncompany at gmail.com> wrote:
> To install Oracle Database 10g, I need to increase the swap memory to 1004
> MB.

Tangential aside:  Does anyone have an informed opinion on whether the
"swap should be double RAM" rule still makes sense?

> Couldsomebody explain how to do this the fastest way? Thanks!

Assuming you've got the free disk space:

# dd if=/dev/zero of=swapfile bs=1024 count=512K
# mkswap swapfile
# swapon swapfile

(replace "swapfile" above with an appropriate path for your system).

Eventually you should make a permanent swap out of a real disk
partition, perhaps by adding a drive to the machine.