[CentOS] changing motherboards. kernel panic.

Peter Kjellstrom cap at nsc.liu.se
Tue Apr 3 17:05:50 UTC 2007

On Tuesday 03 April 2007, Erick Perez wrote:
> Hi,
> I just changed the motherboard of a centos 4.4 installation for a new one.
> this new one has a SIS chipset.
> Now when i boot from the hard disk i get a kernel panic (unable to find
> root, no hdd found , etc)
>
> I have identified the module I need to load to make centos "see" the disks.
> Now the question is what do I need to modify in my existing installation,
> to tell centos to use the new sis module and to *not* use the old intel?

It's quite simple, stuff that is needed to access the thingy the /-filesystem
lives on needs to be in the initrd.img-file. So if your disk-controller needs
driver xyz.ko then that needs to be in there.

The initrd.img-file is typically created with the mkinitrd command. mkinitrd,
among other things, reads /etc/modprobe.conf to figure out which kernel
modules to put into the new initrd.img-file.

So, you'll have to create a new initrd.img-file with mkinitrd after adding
something like "alias scsi_hostadapter xyz" to your modprobe.conf. If you run
mkinitrd with -v you'll get to see which drivers it includes.

Good luck,
 Peter