[CentOS] changing motherboards. kernel panic.

Maciej Zenczykowski maze at cela.pl
Wed Apr 4 03:20:29 UTC 2007

>>  Hi,
>>  I just changed the motherboard of a centos 4.4 installation for a new one.
>>  this new one has a SIS chipset.
>>  Now when i boot from the hard disk i get a kernel panic (unable to find
>>  root, no hdd found , etc)

To me it sounds like your kernels initrd is likely configured for lvm.
You might want to try taking the initrd from the centos cd/dvd and using
that instead, or try booting the kernel without the initrd parameter and
hope it works :)

Or go into the initrd and edit it by hand.
it's either a gzipped cpio archive, or a gzipped ext2/3 filesystem.

You may also get away with simply changing the boot device listed on the
kernels command line.  You did edit /etc/grub/menu.lst right?

-Maciej