[CentOS] Move from FC6 to CentOS5

John Summerfield debian at herakles.homelinux.org
Thu Apr 5 11:40:44 UTC 2007

Styma, Robert E (Robert) wrote:

>>> This is one of those questions: it's doable, but if you need to ask,
>>> probably not by you;-)
>>>
>>> It might also be possible to force Anaconda to do the upgrade.
>>>
>>> There is some probability > 0 that you will be left with
>> orphaned and
>>> unsupported packages, depending on what you have installed.
>>>
>> Thanks John.
>>
>> Basically if you have done updates to the system.. you will have
>> 'orphaned' packages. Fedora Core 5 and 6 kernel, glibc, (or other
>> things) have higher rev's than what is in CentOS-5. The best fix is to
>> do a backup of /etc and other config files, backup your /home
>> /var/I_do_stuff_here partition and install a fresh CentOS-5
>>
> A couple of suggestions for doing the fresh install and minimizing
> some of the pain.
> 1.  tar /etc to someplace safe.  While you cannot just restore the
> files,
>     you can use them as a reference.  There are pieces of /etc/passwd,

Restore /etc to, say, /fcetc, then use diff to discover what's changed

Some differences won't matter (or are right)
Some differences will need interpretation: why is this different?
Some will need special action - eg creating user accounts, preferably in
the same order as before
Some can just be copied.

--

Cheers