[CentOS] 2.6 memory management question

Jim Perrin jperrin at gmail.com
Tue Apr 10 13:59:57 UTC 2007

On 4/10/07, tblader <tblader at flambeau.com> wrote:
> Hello all.
> I have a centos 4.4 box (2.6.9-42.0.10.ELsmp) with 7gig of ram that
> doesn't seem to be using swap (also 7gig now).  I say "seem" because
> I've noticed ram utilization run around 95% (with oracle and friends
> running) and then firing up a couple apps to use that last 5% will
> stop the machine dead in it's tracks.

How do you have your swap space allocated? Is it all 1 big 7G chunk,
or broken up across disks somewhat? There used to be a limitation with
having a single swap partition over 2G in size. I'm not certain if
that still applies or not. If you really do require 7G of swap space,
you'll probably see a benefit to keeping it spread across multiple
spindles in 1-2G chunks. This will allow some sane system handling
when swap usage is required, and it'll be able to essentially raid the
swap space, for lack of a better description.

George Orwell