[CentOS] NVidia Quadro4 200/400 NVS CentoOS 4.4

David A. Woyciesjes david.woyciesjes at yale.edu
Tue Apr 10 20:58:59 UTC 2007

Michael Velez wrote:

>>> Added nvidia-legacy drivers from rpmForge. X could not start.
>>>  From Xorg.0.log:
>>> (II) LoadModule: "bitmap"
>>> (WW) Warning, couldn't open module "bitmap"
>>> (II) UnloadModule: "bitmap"
>>> (EE) Failed to load module "bitmap" (module does not exist, 0)
>>> (II) LoadModule: "pcidata"
>>> (WW) Warning, couldn't open module "pcidata"
>>> (II) UnloadModule: "pcidata"
>>> (EE) Failed to load module "pcidata" (module does not exist, 0)
>>>
>>> Fatal server error:
>>> Unable to load required base modules, Exiting...
>>>
>>> Hmmm... Upon inspecting xorg.conf, I find dri is set to
>> load (bad) glx
>>> is set to load (good), and nothing about glcore... Time to
>> edit that
>>> by hand, according to Michael's previous notes...
>>>

>>From my Xorg.0.log, "bitmap" is found in:
> /usr/X11R6/lib64/modules/fonts/libbitmap.a
>
> And pcidata in:
>
> /usr/X11R6/lib64/modules/libpcidata.a
>
> I have a 64-bit machine so you may have to replace lib64 with lib.
>
> The package which provides these 2 files is xorg-x11-6.8.2-1.EL.13.37.7
>
> Verify if you have this package and that it's the correct version.

	Yep, have it, same ver. When I let it reconfigure the x server itself,
and it chooses nv, I get 1280x1024 24bit just fine. The Xorg.0.log file
also seems to indicate that it know there are 2 monitors attached...
	Comparing the log files from the nv & nvidia attempts - what pops out
is nvidia sets the ModulePath to
"/usr/lib/xorg/modules/extensions/nvidia, /usr/lib/xorg/modules".
modules directory only has extensions and drivers folders, while the
nvidia directory mentioned only has libglx.so...
	The nv Xorg log file is "/usr/X11R6/lib/modules"...

	I wonder if it would work to sudo cp those files to where it looking?
Probably best to find out where the ModulePath is getting changed/set.
Question is, how is a Win refugee to do that?

--
--- David Woyciesjes