[CentOS] HD/Partitions/RAID setup

Ashley M. Kirchner

ashley at pcraft.com
Wed Apr 11 17:32:22 UTC 2007

    I have a machine that's been configured as follows using its BIOS tools:

    SATA-0 is a 160 GiB drive used as boot
    SATA-1 and SATA-2 are both 500 GiB drives and were configured as a
RAID-1 in BIOS.

    When the system boots up, BIOS reports 1 160 GiB SATA drive, and 1
Logical volume as RAID-1 ID#0 500 GiB, which is what I would expect it
to report, as the two drives are now raided together.

    However, when I boot into the Centos installer and I get to
configuring the partitions, it lists both sda, sdb, and sdc as
available.  Both sdb and sdc are 500 GiB.  I would've expected to only
see one drive for the RAID setup.

    Can someone explain why I see both drives and how am I supposed to
configure them?  I thought if I configured the BIOS to raid them, I
wouldn't have to do anything in the OS other than to format the thing
and expect it to work.

--
W | It's not a bug - it's an undocumented feature.
  Photo Craft Imaging                       .     3550 Arapahoe Ave. #6