[CentOS] CentOS 5 and bittorrent

John Hinton webmaster at ew3d.com
Thu Apr 12 17:40:54 UTC 2007

John Hinton wrote:
> Folks. This is likely to be the hardest hit CentOS has ever taken with
> regards to bandwidth needs.
>
> I was really hesitant to use bittorrent for this type of thing for a
> long time. However, it really is nice to give back at least what you
> take. At the moment, I'm seeing almost 3000 connections to the
> torrent. That times 3.5 gigs is a pretty huge chunk of data... and it
> has just begun.
Interesting... the torrent is now showing just under 8000 connections!
The word is getting out. Likely, CentOS is more widespread in use than
most of us realize. I can only imagine what the mirrors are experiencing.

And, the torrents do take loads off those mirrors, so CentOS is likely
to not get as much grief about huge downloads if we can do what we can
to reduce that load. Sort of like protecting our own systems.. being
polite.. that sort of thing.

Hmmm.. now make that 9000 torrents.

JHinton