[CentOS] CentOS 5 and bittorrent

John R Pierce pierce at hogranch.com
Thu Apr 12 17:50:25 UTC 2007

> If someone wants to send me a cheat sheet on how to run a command line
> version of bitorrent, I'll throw one up on a reasonably beefy machine
> at the datacenter that's got multiple gigE links to the net.

log in as a regular user.

$ wget http://www.rahul.net/dholmes/ctorrent/ctorrent-1.3.4-dnh3.tar.gz
$ tar xvzf ctorrent-1.3.4-dnh3.tar.gz
$ cd ctorrent-dnh3
$ ./configure && make
$ su
# make install
# exit
$ mkdir bt      # on a volume with a lotta space for ISOs
$ cd bt
$ wget
http://altruistic.lbl.gov/mirrors/centos/5.0/isos/x86_64/CentOS-5.0-x86_64-bin-DVD.torrent
$ ctorrent -D 250 -U 250 CentOS-5.0-x86_64-bin-DVD.torrent

replace the 250's with the max Kbyte/sec Download and Upload you'd like
to see it use (it WILL saturate your connection if allowed to).    ? or
h to show runtime help, you can change these on the fly.   use a
`screen` connection so you can disconnect and leave it running....