[CentOS] Re: 4.92 beta update to centos5 proper words of caution

Akemi at gmail amyagi at gmail.com
Thu Apr 12 20:13:06 UTC 2007

On 4/12/07, Scott Silva <ssilva at sgvwater.com> wrote:

> Suck it up and go on! ;-D
> In the time it would take to write up a bugzilla entry, you could backup and
> restore.

I've just found the source of the problems I encountered upon
upgrading my test machine from 4.92 to 5.0 via anaconda.  Actually
there were two things, both are peculiar to my machine, but not
something general.  This box refuses to boot if I use grub (a long
story by itself).  So I have been using lilo to boot.  The
installation recognized that lilo was in use.  However, after the
first boot, I should have run /sbin/lilo which I didn't.  That was
problem #1.  The other problem had to do with udev.  This was caused
by the instlled kino.  It was a known problem and the fix was
available.  Guess for the majority of people these are non issues.  My
test system is chugging along now.

> I fortunately was only playing with the beta in VMWare to see what things
> looked like.

I have CentOS4.4 in vmware.  Maybe I should try upgrading this one to
see how it goes. :)

Akemi