[CentOS] LAMP on CentOS 4

Scott Moseman

scmoseman at gmail.com
Fri Apr 13 16:49:19 UTC 2007

Is there a reasonable way to upgrade to the latest Apache, MySQL and
PHP packages on a CentOS 4 machine without breaking a bunch of
dependencies or upgrading every other package on the machine manually
(assuming that would even work)?  I'm not  having much luck getting an
online 4 to 5 upgrade to work on a basic server, so I'm thinking
that's not going to be a viable option for all of my remote CentOS 4
installations.

For those who "rent servers" that came pre-loaded with CentOS 4, what
do you do if you want to run CentOS 5?  Have the ISP run the upgrade
from the console for you and hope they can do it with minimal damage
to your data?  :)

Thanks,
Scott