[CentOS] kernel panic with OS update

Florin Andrei

florin at andrei.myip.org
Fri Apr 13 17:16:11 UTC 2007

I've a bunch of RHEL4 systems that were originally installed with RH 4.3
using dd - a "master" system was installed, then the hard-drive was
copied verbatim using dd to all the new systems.

(Yes, I know that's bad. Yes, I'm working to fix that.)

Recently I put yum on all those machines, created a yum repo and updated
them to 4.4 with all the updates. That includes a new kernel.

When the new kernel booted up, this is what happened:

Creating root device
Mounting root filesystem
mount: error 6 mounting ext3
mount: error 2 mounting none
Switching to new root
switchroot: mount failed: 22
umount /initrd/dev failed: 2

The old kernel works just fine.

I don't think there's a hardware or BIOS issue with the new kernel. For
some reason, I'm inclined to believe that there's some subtle issue with
the file system, due to the install method.
But then why the old kernel is working fine?

I've a feeling that I'm missing something here. Some interaction between
bootloader, kernel and filesystem maybe?

--
Florin Andrei

http://florin.myip.org/