[CentOS] Looking for a good disk exerciser

Lonny Selinger lonny at bangtherockstogether.net
Fri Apr 13 18:07:20 UTC 2007

> Capstone (so to speak):
>
> I booted from the Seagate CD and ran both the quick and full diagnostics on
> the disk.  It failed them both.
>
> Now I'm wondering what's the best way to destroy all the data on the drive
> so I can return it without my stuff, unreliable or not, on it.
>
> I suppose a dd from /dev/zero to the whole disk might work - am I right?
> I'm not sure what block size or how many - it's a 400Gb drive....

My favorite utility for whiping a drive is DBAN:
http://dban.sourceforge.net/

You can get as crazy as you want to ;-) including specifying multiple pass
etc. His screenshots give a better idea of what some of the options are but so
far, it's better than even some of the commercial applications they were using
at my current client site.

--
Lonny