[CentOS] Question re: CentOS Bug Fixes

Jim Perrin jperrin at gmail.com
Fri Apr 13 18:08:04 UTC 2007

On 4/13/07, Steven Lee <slee at cs.cornell.edu> wrote:

> I have a quick question: if a bug is discovered in CentOS but the bug
> came from RHEL, how would this bug be handled?  If CentOS fixes the bug,
> it would no longer be identical to RHEL, no?

Short answer is: It depends.

Long answer is: we verify the bug, and make sure that the bug does
exist upstream as well.
Then depending on the severity and/or impact of the bug, we may fix it
ourselves, but place the new package into centosplus, so as to not
interfere with the 1:1 compatibility that users want, unless they
specifically choose to add the fix. This was done in centos 4 with the
spinlock typo issue with the kernel and 1 or two other packages.

Other times if we can fix the bug, we submit the patch/fix upstream
and wait for it to be rolled into the updates.

George Orwell