[CentOS] OT: AMD CPU actual speed....

John R Pierce pierce at hogranch.com
Fri Apr 13 22:49:19 UTC 2007

Mark Hull-Richter wrote:
> I know this is a bit OT, but the subject of CPU speed came up here and
> I was (and have been for some time) curious:
>
> What is the actual speed of an AMD CPU?  E.g., I have a Athlon 64 X2
> "4200+" but my /proc/cpuinfo shows 1005.164 MHz for the two cores.
>
> What do those mean?  Is there a reference for this (huge) discrepancy?
>
> Also, is there a way (and what) to tell what the actuall running speed
> of memory is?

per http://www.amdcompare.com/us-en/desktop/Default.aspx  a X2 4200+
-should- be 2.2Ghz, each core.

in the MS Windows world, the utils CPU-Z, and SiSoft Sandra, both do a
damn good job of groping out all the mainboard and peripheral
specifications and benchmark actual speeds, and give it to you as clocks
and so forth.    I've not seen anything that comprehensive for Linux,
other than whats in the various /proc interfaces, and the dmesg stuff at
startup.